Comment on page
Create Memory Allocation Goal
ipmctl create [OPTIONS] -goal [TARGETS] [PROPERTIES]
ipmctl create -goalcommand has many options. A complete list of options can be shown by executing
ipmctl create -help, or reading the
ipmctl(1)man page. Once a goal is created, it does not take effect until the system is rebooted. After a reboot, the BIOS configures the requested goal and clears the goal.
-dimm [(DimmIDs)]: Creates a memory allocation goal on specific persistent memory modules by optionally supplying one or more comma-separated DimmIDs. The default is to configure all manageable modules on all sockets.
-socket (SocketIds): Creates a memory allocation goal on specific modules by supplying one or more comma-separated SocketIds. The default is to configure all manageable modules on all sockets.
MemoryMode: Percentage of the total capacity to use in Memory Mode (0-100). Default=0.
PersistentMemoryType: If MemoryMode is not 100%, specify the type of persistent memory to create:
AppDirect: (default) Create App Direct capacity utilizing hardware interleaving across the requested modules.
AppDirectNotInterleaved: Create App Direct capacity that is not interleaved with any other modules.
NamespaceLabelVersion: The version of the namespace label storage area (LSA) index block:
1.2: (default) Defined in UEFI 2.7a - sections 13.19
1.1: Legacy 1.1 namespace label support
Reserved: Reserve a percentage (0-100) of the requested persistent memory App Direct capacity that will not be mapped into the system physical address space and will be presented as
ReservedCapacitywith Show Device and Show Memory Resources commands.
- The caller must have appropriate privileges.
- The specified modules must be manageable by the host software and must all have the same SKU.
- Existing memory allocation goals that have not been applied and any namespaces associated with the requested modules must be deleted before running this command.
Configures all the PMem module capacity in Memory Mode:
ipmctl create -goal MemoryMode=100
Configures all the PMem module capacity as App Direct:
ipmctl create -goal PersistentMemoryType=AppDirect
Configures the capacity on each PMem module with 20% of the capacity in Memory Mode and the remaining as App Direct capacity that does not use hardware interleaving:
ipmctl create -goal MemoryMode=20 PersistentMemoryType=AppDirectNotInterleaved
Configures the PMem module capacity across the entire system with 50% in AppDirect (Interleaved) and 50% reserved:
ipmctl create -goal PersistentMemoryType=AppDirect Reserved=50
Configures the PMem module capacity across the entire system with 25% of the capacity in Memory Mode, 25% reserved, and the remaining 50% as App Direct. Configures the PMem module capacity across the entire system with 25% of the capacity in Memory Mode and the remaining 75% as App Direct.
ipmctl create -goal MemoryMode=25 PersistentMemoryType=AppDirect Reserved=25
Create an Interleaved AppDirect goal using all modules in Socket0:
$ ipmctl create -goal -socket 0x0000 PersistentMemoryType=AppDirect